Torque wrenches are considered to be one of the most useful and frequently used tools by a mechanic and a person at home trying to do simple repairs on his own. The production of cars and the use of bolts, nuts and fasteners in most equipment have increased the demands of installations and repairs resulting in an increased number of torque wrench applications. It is also the reason why torque wrenches have been a popular search item by a lot of people.
Why Buy Torque Wrenches?
The answer is obvious for mechanics. A good torque wrench would make their work faster, easier and more accurate when handling bolts, nuts, fasteners, etc. For DIY people, it is highly recommended to have your own set of tools and equipment at home such as a torque wrench. It can be very expensive or costly to have simple repairs done in a repair shop rather than doing it on your own.
What to Look for when Buying One
Consider the types of torque wrenches. Each type has specifications in terms of accuracy, capacity and ease of use, durability and price. You may want to research and read torque wrench reviews to be able to compare features, advantages and disadvantages of each type and brand and the prices.
Best Torque Wrenches to Buy
|1||Neiko ⅜” Adjustable Torque Wrench 5-80 ft.lb./6.8-108.5 Nm (03713A)||CLICK FOR BEST PRICE|
|2||Gorilla™ Automotive TW605 Torque Wrench||CLICK FOR BEST PRICE|
|3||Pittsburgh® Pro ½” Drive Click-Type Torque Wrench (239)||CLICK FOR BEST PRICE|
|4||ACDelco® ARM601-4 ½” Digital Torque Wrench||CLICK FOR BEST PRICE|
|5||Craftsman® ½" Drive Micro-Clicker Torque Wrench (00931425000P)||CLICK FOR BEST PRICE|
|6||TEKTON® 24335 ½" Drive Click Torque Wrench (10-150 ft.lb./13.6-203.5 Nm)||CLICK FOR BEST PRICE|
|7||CDI® ⅜” Drive Dual Scale Comfort Grip Micrometer Adjustable Torque Wrench (1002MFRPH)||CLICK FOR BEST PRICE|
|8||CDI® ½” Drive Dual Scale Comfort Grip Micrometer Adjustable Torque Wrench (2503MFRPH)||CLICK FOR BEST PRICE|
|9||TEKTON® 24340 ½” Drive Click Torque Wrench (20-250 ft.lb./33.9-338.9 Nm)||CLICK FOR BEST PRICE|
|10||Precision Instruments ½" Flex Ratchet Drive Split-Beam Click Torque Wrench (C3FR250F)||CLICK FOR BEST PRICE|
- Reliable torque precision (pre-calibrated at ± 4% accuracy)
- Reversible ratcheting
- Has locking and unlocking mechanism.
- Audible click sound upon reaching the right torque setting to avoid over-tightening.
- Dual-range pressure scale (foot-pound and Newton meter).
- Built with tough heat-treated chrome vanadium steel construction.
- Ratchet mechanism is poorly made.
- It is not ideal for frequent or excessive use.
- Not well-calibrated.
It won’t benefit a mechanic due to durability issues regarding frequent use but this would be good enough for simple DIY home repairs.
- It includes a 5-inch extension bar.
- Chrome-plated finish.
- Enclosed by a high-impact resistant case.
- Includes a ½” to ⅜” adapter.
- Average accuracy.
- Click-type with the capacity of 10-150 ft.lb.
- Tightening efficiency drops over time.
- It produces clicking sounds even if the setting not yet set or reached.
It is durable but a regular-quality torque wrench. The accuracy is fair but the price is too much.
- Heavy duty, ultra-durable cam and pawl mechanism.
- Torque range of 20-150 ft.lb.
- 18 inches long.
- Fairly accurate within ± 4%.
- Comes in a protective case.
- Slightly difficult adjustment settings.
- Ratcheting is a bit hard.
- Measurement or torque setting is hard to read.
The laser printed torque measurement on the handle does not go smoothly with the chrome plating. Other than that, it is great torque wrench enclosed by a well-cushioned, durable protective case.
ACDelco® ARM601-4 ½” Digital Torque Wrench
- Capacity of 4-99 ft.lb. with 45 gear teeth.
- Digital torque setting, mode setting and measurement setting.
- LCD display shows kg-cm, ft-lb, in-lb and N-m pressure measurements.
- Uses a buzzer instead of clicking sounds.
- The torque wrench is 440mm long with an anti-slip soft grip.
- User-friendly and with built-in modes (Peak or Trace).
- Clockwise and counter-clockwise operable with a quick release ratchet.
- Accuracy for foot-pound measurement is not reliable.
- Hard to calibrate.
- Auto-shut off feature does not work well.
It is ideal for mechanics to make production or work easier and faster. You can have a steady measurement of your torque with just a push of a button.
- Accurate at ± 4%.
- Click-type with a torque range of 20-150 ft.lb.
- It has a flexible torque scale showing inch/metric units and provides readings in foot-pounds and Newton-meters.
- It has a twist ring with lock/unlock
- Very solid, can withstand frequent and excessive use.
- Ratchet mechanism is a bit faulty.
- Does not measure torque accurately.
- Not ideal for industrial use.
This item is applicable as a home or personal DIY tool but not for a mechanic or for industrial use. Frequent turns can break the tool faster than intended.
- Scale is easy to read due to high-contrast.
- Produces audible click sound. The click can actually be heard and felt when the setting is reached.
- Works great both clockwise and counter-clockwise.
- No plastic parts. All made from strong steel construction.
- Pre-calibrated to ± 4% accuracy.
- Connector can snap off if not careful.
- Lousy calibration if not stored at its lowest setting of 10 ft.lb./13.6 Nm when not in use.
- Accuracy on lower range is unreliable.
It is the best-selling product of Tekton. The construction is highly regarded. It is ideal for industrial use. Mechanical, this can withstand frequent use for a long time.
- Accuracy: ± 3% CW ± 5% CCW of indicated value, CW, from 20% to 100% of full scale.
- Dual scale and reversible—can be calibrated in both directions
- Made with an ergonomic grip for comfort and spring loaded pull down lock ring.
- Torque range of 10-100 ft.lb. (16.9-132.2 Nm)
- Accurate, simple and easy to use.
- Laser marked scales are hard to read.
- The handle is small and uncomfortable. Made of plastic and a little bit loose.
This is an expensive click-type torque wrench with simple features but gives you the proper torque power you need and durability.
- Torque range of 30-250 ft.lb. (169-779 Nm)
- With an accuracy of ± 3% CW ± 5% CCW of indicated value, CW, from 20% to 100% of full scale.
- Dual calibration. Clockwise and counter-clockwise.
- Spring loaded lock ring. Pull down positive lock mechanism.
- User-friendly, accurate and provides great torque power.
- Features quick release buttons that provide good socket retention as well as easy socket removal.
- Numbers on the torque scale setting is hardly visible.
- The torque setting and the handle does not work well together.
The CDI torque wrenches are great for both DIY and industrial use. It is a dependable torque wrench made in USA that meets or exceeds ASME B107.14-2004, ISO 6789 standards. They are individually serialized with matching certificate of calibration traceable to N.I.S.T.
- It is reversible. Ratchet head can move in both directions.
- High-contrast torque scale for visibility.
- All parts are made of solid metal with reliable sturdiness.
- Ready to use right out of the box—pre-calibrated to ± 4% accuracy.
- Less efficient and accurate when working with a lower range torque.
- Very long and heavy.
Tekton torque wrench reviews always have positive or good ratings. This product holds a great spot on the list of the best torque wrench reviews.
- It has a nice chrome nickel finish.
- Capacity of 40-250 ft.lb.
- The handle is ergonomically designed.
- Torque lock settings for repetitive use.
- No spring tension on adjustment knob.
- Highly accurate with a ± 4% accuracy out of 20% of full scale to full scale.
- Overall length of 22⅛” and width of 1⅝” with an effective length/reach of 19”.
- The head is slightly hard to move.
This product has the highest price. It is also on the top spot and holds the highest ratings amongst other brands that were mentioned in the list. It has few negative reviews (minor issues) and a lot of good remarks from satisfied customers. It is highly recommended by DIY crafters and mechanics.
The best torque wrench is the one that fits your needs and preferences. This list and the reviews can play an influential role which will help you with your purchasing decisions but always look for a product that will give you precision, comfort and make your work easier.