One of the important items you need to have in your garage or workroom is a tool chest or box. You just can’t leave your tools lying around. Toolboxes and tool chests come in a wide variety of sizes and shapes. You’ll need to make your choice from all of them. This article highlights the best tool chest for the money to help make your selection easier.
The Best Tool Chest for the Money
[table id=53 /]
1. Craftsman 3-Drawer Metal Portable Chest Toolbox Red – A Solid Classic
The Craftsman 3 drawer portable tool chest is what you buy for yourself if you find yourself always in demand for repairs around the house. This steel toolbox is 20 inches wide and 12 inches tall, the perfect dimensions for a portable toolbox. This solid steel box will protect your tools from almost anything.
However, the real draw is the three drawers on the site. No need to dig around the toolbox for the tool you want. Just properly organize them and pull out the drawer for the tool. Plus, with its attractive fire-engine red color, this toolbox is hard to miss.
- Simple. There are no complications here. Just open and close.
- Durable. The steel material ensures that this will stay with you for a long time.
- Drawers. They make it easy to organize your tools.
- Hard to Open. The drawers don’t open unless you open the top lid first. Plus, they are are only two inches in height. If you’ve got big tools, take a pass on this.
Overall, this toolbox is great for your emergency toolbox.
2. Stack-On R-516-2 16-Inch Multi-Purpose Steel Tool Box, Red – Ready to Go
If you’re not a serious tool user, then the Stack-On R-516-2 16-inch multi-purpose steel toolbox might be for you. This steel toolbox is a big improvement over a cheap plastic one so if you’re in the market for inexpensive durability, this one is it.
A simple clasp keeps the lid closed. When you open it, you’ve got a plastic insert for small tools. For the majority of your tools, there is a larger area underneath. However, don’t expect to store much in it. There is only limited space inside.
- Portable. You will have no trouble carrying this around due to its small size.
- A Good Upgrade. For those used to plastic toolboxes, the steel is a step up in protecting your tools.
- Durable. The epoxy red finish on the box helps it resist rust and corrosion.
- Small. This stores only a few tools due to its size.
You’d buy this toolbox for puttering around the house or as an emergency backup in your trunk, but not for serious work.
3. UltraHD Rolling Storage Cabinet with Drawers – Rolling Along
This is what you’d buy for your garage. The UltraHD rolling storage cabinet with drawers is more cabinet than a box, but it still serves the same purpose. This will store a lot of your tools in an organized manner.
Measuring more than two feet in height, this rolling cabinet should be able to store most light and heavy tools you’ll need. Whether it is for tinkering with your car or doing carpentry and metalwork, this rolling cabinet makes it easy to just reach out and get a needed tool.
- Heavy Duty Storage. You want your tools safe, then you buy this tool chest. The solid steel exterior will protect them.
- Wheels. No need to walk over to your wall to get a tool. Just roll this along near your work area.
- Looks Great. It first well in any garage and shows you’re serious about work.
- Not Portable. This is for home-use only. No way you’ll bring it to another person’s house.
4. Stout Stuff STAMBX22 New Military-Grade M2A1 All-Metal Ammo Can for Ammunition and Storage, 50 Cal, Green – Go Military
If you’re feeling a bit nostalgic, Stout Stuff’s STAMBX22 new military-grade M2A1 all-metal ammo can scratch that itch. This is literally an ammo can, where you store .50 caliber bullets. This is the sort of tool chest your grandfather would have.
Still, it’s a good choice. It’s durable and portable enough for most purposes. It only weighs a few pounds so adding a few tools will not make it difficult to carry.
Your big problem is that it will be hard to keep things organized in it. You can only dump tools inside. However, if you want them protected, this box is a good choice since it is waterproof.
- Simple. It’s a simple open-and-close mechanism with a basic locking option.
- Tough. This is for storing bullets so you can be sure that whatever inside will get adequate protection.
- Waterproof. The biggest enemy of tools is water since it causes rust. The waterproof nature of this can helps avoid that fate.
- Organization. You won’t be able to organize your tools properly in this box.
If you’re looking for a box to dump spare tools and parts in, this may be the solution you’re looking for.
5. Stanley 033026R Pro Contractor Chest – For Easy Access
The Stanley Pro Contractor Chest is the ideal portable tool storage solution. Though not made of steel like other heavy-duty toolboxes, the resin material is good enough for storing tools. The Contractor Chest is a great purchase for several reasons.
The real game-changer is the rubber wheels. These wheels are for long-distance travel. There is even an extendable handle so you can drag this like a rolling luggage case.
Another good thing is that it is for 17 gallons. This means a lot of tools for storage and transport. For people who work with a lot of tools or need a heavy carrying option for big boxes, this chest is the solution.
- Solid. The resin of the box is tough enough to handle most dangers to your tools.
- Portability. This gives you access to a lot more tools than a simple toolbox can give.
- Organization. The chest has several trays and organizers inside so that you can keep your tools separated and organized.
- No End Handles. This chest can be difficult to haul up without handles. You’ll need ramps to properly go upstairs or higher locations.
Overall, this is a good chest for transporting your tools to various work sites.
6. WEN 74603 26-Inch 3 Drawer Intermediate Chest, Silver/Black – Securing Your Tools
If you want a professional feel to your workspace, buying some WEN 74603 26-Inch 3 drawer intermediate chests is a good first step. Intended for professional mechanics and industrial work, these are heavy-duty tool storage options.
Made of 19-gauge steel, this will keep your tools safe. Thanks to the drawers, you can also properly organize them. It has one nearly 3-inch deep drawer for larger tools, while there are two 2-inch deep drawers for other tools.
The great thing about this toolbox is that they are stackable. If your current one is full, just buy another one and place it on top of the other to expand your storage options.
- Durable. The 19-gauge steel ensures that this tool chest will be safe from any bumps and accidents that happen.
- Stackable. Buy another chest and place it on top of this one if you need more space.
- Organization. The drawers allow you to organize your tools properly.
- Portability. You won’t be able to carry this thing around.
Overall, this is a great addition to any workroom in need of tool storage.
7. Excel TB2105X-Blue 26-Inch Steel Top Chest, Blue – Keeping Your Tools Organized
The Excel TB2105X is the heavy-duty storage solution you want for your professional garage or workspace. This blue tool chest is more than two-feet tall and can accommodate a lot of tools. Made of rolled steel, this tool chest is tough, with a powder-coated scratch-resistant body.
The main reason you would buy this is the five drawers set into the chest. This allows for the proper organization of your tool collection. It also helps that the drawers use ball-bearings to keep them easily accessible.
Additional features like locks and side handle provide you with more options for this chest.
- The five drawers should be enough for your tools.
- Keeping your tools safe also means keeping them away from unauthorized hands. These locks should ensure that.
- The solid steel construction will be sure to last you a long time.
- Not Easily Portable. Though it has side handles, you will find it difficult to carry it around.
8. International TB-20D 31-Inch Utility Box – Simple and Strong
If you want a simple and durable storage solution, the International TB-20D 31-Inch utility box is the answer. Made of solid steel, this is essentially a 10-inch deep box to keep your tools in. If you’ve got heavy tools, this is a good place to store it in.
Outside, the box has a diamond plate design. The reinforced steel lid ensures that whatever inside is safe. The locking hasp allows you to buy the lock for it. Inside, the bottom is padded so that your tools won’t get scratches or damage.
- For Big Tools. Larger tools can be painful to store at times because of space. That is no problem with this box.
- Steel construction lets this box survive a lot of situations.
- There’s a locking hasp for you to place a lock in to secure your tools.
- There is no way to properly organize the tools you put into this box.
This is a toolbox you’ll want to put in the back of your garage or in the trunk of your car.
9. Craftsman 26 In. 4-drawer Heavy-duty Ball Bearing Rolling Cabinet – Black – When It’s Time to Gret Serious
The Craftsman brand has a solid reputation and this tool chest lives up to it. This is a heavy-duty tool cabinet to store your power and hand tools in. Only the largest of tools won’t fit into the four drawers of this tool chest.
The four drawers allow for better organization of your tools. It also helps that ball bearings are set for the drawers’ operation. This ensures that they are smoothly open. With locks for each drawer, you can be sure that your tools are safe.
- Each drawer has a lock that ensures that no one touches your tools but you.
- The wheels at the bottom allow you to move this around your workroom.
- A solid steel construction will make this chest last for a long time.
- For Home Use. You won’t be carrying this tool chest around.
Overall, this is a good addition to a home workroom or a garage.
10. Waterloo 23″ Specialty Series Tool Box with 3-Drawers – Designed, Engineered and Assembled in the USA – Solid Portability
Made of high-impact plastic resin, the Waterloo Specialty Series Tool Box is a great portable storage solution. Although it isn’t steel like other toolboxes, it still manages to be a durable tool chest. This is the sort of box you’d buy if you do not have many heavy tools to worry about.
The great draw of this chest is the three drawers. Each of them supports 25 pounds without breaking down. This allows for better organization of the tools that you bring along. Sufficiently long, it allows for a lot of storage for your tools.
- Though it looks heavy, the lightweight plastic makes it easy to carry.
- The drawers make it easy to organize your tools.
- This is your toolbox if you move from site-to-site during your workday.
- Though it is still tough, it does not have the same durability as steel boxes.
Overall, this is a toolbox for workers on the go.
Best Tool Chest for The Money FAQs
Why You Need Tool Storage?
A lot of people think that they can work without a tool chest. However, that’s a recipe for disaster. There are several reasons why a tool storage option is necessary.
For one, tool storage is the best way to keep your tools organized. If your tools are in a mess, you will have trouble finding the right ones at the right moment. Also, a messy workroom or garage can result in an accident. You can step on a tool or slip on one.
Another reason for getting a good tool storage option is to protect your tools. Leaving your tools exposed to the elements will result in them rusting easily. With a tool chest, you can increase the lifespan of a tool, getting more years of service out of it.
A tool chest or box can also allow for tools to be portable. Easy carrying of tools is sometimes needed, especially if you want to repair something outside of your usual workroom or garage. Having an easy way to carry tools leaves you an additional option when doing repairs.
What To Look For in a Tool Chest or Box?
When you’re looking for a toolbox, there are several factors you should consider. Knowing them makes it easier for you to make your choice. Here are the criteria you should have in mind when you’re in the market for a toolbox.
- Storage Capacity. you’re buying this toolbox or chest to store your tools. That means you’ll want a storage option that can store all of your tools. Depending on how many tools you have, your chosen toolbox will be either small or large.
- Steel Gauge. Many tool chests and boxes are for storing heavy tools. This means that plastic is not going to cut it. That is why steel is the preferred material for tool storage. The steel gauge indicates how strong the steel is. The higher it is the stronger the steel is and the more tools it can support.
- Number of Drawers. You will want to organize your tools properly. The best way to do this is by having several drawers. This is a good way to divide your tools by their purpose or their size. Having a lot of drawers also allows you to better protect your tools.
- Additional Features. Some tool chests have special features like locks or wheels to make their use easier. Consider your needs when buying to consider whether these are useful.
Conclusion for The Best Tool Chest for The Money
Your toolbox is a key piece of a complete workroom. The right toolbox can make everything a lot simpler in your workspace. Hopefully, knowing about the best tool chests and boxes out there will make your choice easier.