Car remotes provide a hassle-free way to operate the vehicle. You don’t have to insert the keys into the locks and spend a couple of seconds in opening the door. With a remote, you can do with a gentle push on the key fob.
Almost all new cars allow car owners to use a key fob to operate their vehicle. The maker of luxury cars, BMW, is not behind. To use the key fob, however, you will have to program it. Programming the BMW key fob is super easy.
How to Program a BMW Key Fob
There are generally two methods through which you can program the key fob. The first method is used when you are programming the key fob for the first time and the second one relates to the situation when you already have a programmed key fob and you want to program some spare keys.
Programming a New BMW Key from the Scratch
Follow the following steps to program your new BMW key:
1. Ensure that all doors and the trunk and the hood of the car are closed.
2. Open and close the driver’s door. Open the trunk door
3. Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to position 1 and back. This step has to be repeated five times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Hold the unlock button on the remote and press the BMW logo three times. Gently release the unlock button.
6. In case you have additional keys that need programming, repeat Step 5 within three to 30 seconds of the original key programming.
7. Turn on the ignition to complete the process.
The programming is complete. To leave the programming mode, close the trunk door while leaving the driver’s door open. Once you have done this, you will hear the alarm sound off that will indicate that you have left the programming mode.
Programming More Than One BMW Keys
In an event where you already have a programmed BMW key, you will have to follow the following steps to program the spare keys:
1. Take the working BMW key fob and the ones to your car.
2. Close all windows and doors.
3. Put the key into the ignition and turn it to position 1. With this, the dash light and accessories will turn on.
4. Turn the key back.
5. Remove the key.
6. Hold the working key and hold the unlock button. Simultaneously, press the BMW logo three times. Then, release the unlock button. By doing so, the doors will automatically lock and unlock.
7. Take the new keys and repeat the same procedure that you performed on the working key. The doors will lock and unlock. Once the doors have completed the lock cycle, you are done.
The Final Word
You might have noticed that BMW key fob programming is quite easy. You can easily do this in a short time. However, if you are not confident about it, it is better to visit your dealership and get the keys programmed.